Sign Up for TuscALERT



Recovery can be a long process that can take weeks, months, or even years. A few important ideas or concepts that can be helpful to look into or think about are below.


There are no current federal declarations or assistance at this time.



To see the latest information and report home repair fraud or price gouging, click here. Residents in the affected counties may report concerns of alleged fraud or price gouging. To fill out a complaint online, visit and look for the ‘consumer complaint’ link. You may also dial the Consumer Interest Division toll-free at 1-800-392-5658.

For information about home repair licensing and potential fraud, visit the Home Builders Licensure Board by clicking here or by calling 1-800-304-0853.


Usually, some of the first and last to help a family, Non-Governmental Organizations tend to leave a lasting impact. Some of the most common NGOs are the American Red Cross, Salvation Army, and (VOAD) Volunteer Organizations Active in Disaster. For a list of Tuscaloosa County NGOs, click here.

Another group that may become active after a disaster is the Tuscaloosa Area Volunteer Reception Center or (VRC). To learn more about how they manage volunteers helping our community or to volunteer after a disaster, click here


Tuscaloosa County EMA Damage Assessments: If Severe Weather has caused a large amount of damage in the community, the Tuscaloosa County EMA Damage Assessment Page will be made available. Tuscaloosa County citizens will then be asked to report the sustained damage to their residence, business, or other dwelling(s) by completing the appropriate form. Tuscaloosa County EMA will need this information to report to the State of Alabama. Government assistance will be dependent on the amount of damage reported for Tuscaloosa County.

U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA): SBA serves as the federal disaster bank for homeowners, renters, businesses, and some nonprofit entities in the wake of hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, wildfires, tornadoes, and other physical disasters. SBA loans provide federal low-interest loans to homeowners, renters, and businesses. SBA Website: click here for

Due to a lower level of damages required for a disaster declaration by the SBA, usually confined to a specific community or county, disaster declarations by the SBA are more common than Federal Declarations of Major Disaster for smaller events such as major fires, localized flooding, and events disrupting business and commerce.

Presidential Disaster Declaration: A Presidential Disaster Declaration allows the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to open a wide variety of assistance programs. Some may include: Disaster Unemployment Assistance, Disaster Case Management, Crisis Counseling Assistance, and many more. For more on Individual Assistance (IA) Click Here. For more on the Federal process for assistance see Federal Process below.

To find, apply, or check the status of a disaster with the Federal Government, Click Here.


Click Here for tips on managing stress after a disaster. You can also Click Here to find more information on the SAMHSA website. For the Red Cross Taking Care of Your Emotional Health after a Disaster Click Here. If you need to talk to someone you can call the Suicide & Crisis Lifeline by dialing 988. For Disaster Distress Helpline Videophone for American Sign Language Users Click Here.


Click Here for more information about how to manage a business insurance claim after a disaster.


Click Here for FEMA's Starting Your Recovery

Click Here for a flyer that provides policyholders with information about beginning a claim against their NFIP policy after a flood event

Click Here for FEMA's Identifying Your Advocates After a Flood Flyer

Click Here for FEMA's Wind Damage Versus Floodwater Damage: What You Need to Know When Filing a Claim

Click Here for some illustrated tips on cleaning your home after a flood event.

Click Here for Tips for re-entering flooded structures.


If you are displaced by a storm, the Tuscaloosa Tourism & Sports Commission's website lists local hotels. Salvation Army is located at 2902 Greensboro Ave, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401. If a major disaster impacts Tuscaloosa County, the American Red Cross may open a shelter (tune into local media for location).




Recovery is a process and may take time before you receive help from the Federal Government. In most instances, non-profit organizations are the first to assist victims after the initial disaster. The majority are a part of Volunteer Organizations Active in Disasters (VOAD) at the local, state, or federal level. Before Federal assistance arrives, the following steps must be taken.

Preliminary Damage Assessments (PDA) are performed in the impacted municipalities or county to evaluate the extent of the damages. As a result of the PDAs, damaged areas in the municipalities or county may be designated immediately in the disaster declaration, and some may be added later, due to ongoing evaluations of the damages. Representatives from Tuscaloosa County Emergency Management Agency (TCEMA),  Alabama Emergency Management Agency (AEMA), and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) conduct joint PDAs and share the information.

The governor’s request for a major disaster declaration is made through the FEMA Regional Office, utilizing data from the PDA to project cost estimates, and provide information on the extent of damages and assistance required. The PDAs determine the need for a Public or Individual Assistance declaration, if the damages and thresholds are met. Ultimately, the President makes a Presidential determination on the declaration.