Tuscaloosa City Area - McDonald Hughes Center
Back to Map
Located at: 3101 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Tuscaloosa, AL 35401
- Public Shelter Number: 205-562-3215
- Directional signs to the shelter, 242 parking spaces, and emergency lighting is provided.
- The shelter is opened when the City of Tuscaloosa informs them of an immediate sign of severe weather.
Shelter rules per PARA:
- The shelter is Pet friendly but owners must meet the following rules
- Owners must be preset with their animal and it must be under control.
- Only domestic animals under 140lbs are permitted.
- No reptiles, fish, or insects are allowed.
- Dogs should be in a crate or leashed and muzzled. All other animals must be in crates.
- Pet owners should bring a bowl for water for pet and must clean up after them.
- Animals will be excluded from the safe room if they exhibit dangerous or disruptive behavior.
- Animals should be vaccinated as appropriate.
- Service animals are allowed but owners are encouraged to restrain the dog (with leash and muzzle) as long as it doesn't interfere with their work.
For safety reasons, those violating these rules may be asked to leave.
- The number of people entering the building will be recorded.
- Individuals can bring games, prescription medications, flashlights, phone chargers (limited plugs).
- No weapons, smoking, or alcohol (when safe room) is allowed.
- Water fountains, restrooms and bleachers for sitting are available.
- A TPD officer and First Aid kit will be located in shelter.
- PARA officials and TPD will be in charge during the event.
- Doors will be locked and individuals must stay inside when weather outside becomes unsafe.
- State, Federal, and health laws and rules will be followed.