Sign Up for TuscALERT

2020 Flooding Individual Assistance

3/7/20 UPDATE: The period of time for submitting damages to EMA has closed. Please contact EMA with any questions. 

The month of February 2020 brought weeks of heavy rainfall to West Alabama and many communities suffered damages from the floodwaters or were displaced from their homes. On February 18, 2020, Governor Kay Ivey declared a State of Emergency for Alabama, and Tuscaloosa County Commission declared a State of Emergency for Tuscaloosa County on the same date.

Because of this, Tuscaloosa County EMA is now conducting a preliminary assessment to see if Tuscaloosa County qualifies for Individual Assistance from either the federal government or the Small Business Administration (SBA). By collecting data from impacted citizens, it will be determined if Alabama, including Tuscaloosa County, meets the criteria for being granted "disaster status" by either of these organizations. If that occurs, different types of financial assistance will open up to citizens in need.

Tuscaloosa County EMA encourages citizens to get their information in as soon as possible.

Individual Assistance FAQs:

What is Individual Assistance?

Individual Assistance (IA) comes in many forms and is based on a series of qualifying data, such as insurance and type of damage. Depending on what criteria are met, several programs can be available to citizens. Among these are the Individuals and Households Program (IHP) and the Small Business Administration (SBA) disaster loan program.

The IHP provides financial assistance and direct services to eligible individuals and households who have uninsured or underinsured necessary expenses and serious needs. IHP assistance is not a substitute for insurance and cannot compensate for all losses caused by a disaster; it is intended to meet basic needs and supplement disaster recovery efforts. The SBA disaster loan program is disaster assistance in the form of low-interest loans to businesses, renters, and homeowners located in regions affected by declared disasters. SBA disaster loans can be used to repair or replace the following items damaged or destroyed in a declared disaster: real estate, personal property, machinery and equipment, and inventory or business supplies.

How Do I Submit My Information?

The period of time for submitting information is closed. If you have issues or questions, call Tuscaloosa County EMA at 205-349-0150.

I Submitted My Information, Does This Mean I Get Money?

Not necessarily. Your information will go to the State of Alabama to determine eligibility, based on factors such as insurance (or no insurance), type of damage, and damage cost. However, we encourage all citizens with damages to submit a form.

Does My Information Get Shared With Anyone?

Only the people that are involved with the Individual Assistance program will see your information. Submitting any information is voluntary and will not be shared with anyone outside of the program. Those inside the program will only see it on a need-to-know basis.

I Submitted My Form, What is the Next Step?

Tuscaloosa County EMA will contact you by one of the contact methods you provided to set up an appointment for a site visit to your damaged property. This may be delayed due to the COVID-19 response. EMA will take photos and verify the information you submitted. At that point, your information will be submitted to the State to determine eligibility.